RCU Forums - View Single Post - McCoy redhead stunt engines
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2004, 01:28 PM
RRyan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: McCoy redhead stunt engines

William,

Not sure where you got your info but let me set this record straight.

1. All the McCoy Red Head engines had a crank bushing, some iron, some bronze, all wore very well.
2. The crankshaft itself was very robust and a direct swap out with the Torp .35 GH and was used to improve that engine which had a habit of breaking cranks.
3. The conrod was also substantial and lived a good service life.

The problems with this engine were not of a design nature. In fact the late George Aldrich was of the strong opinion that the Red Head "design" was superior to the Fox as a stunt engine. In fact he did what Dan has suggested, the engines were called McGas. Granted they were .40s, but the design was basically the same. The failing with this engine was Testor's poor or lack of quality control. The last Red Head .40s were great engines but too late. The .19, .29 & .35 RH's were all soundly designed but built to varying degrees of quality. A good one is a real keeper and there are guys around that will agree whole heartedly. Some wouldn't run at all though I never got one that wouldn't.

I like the Macs, a sweet one is really sweet, and a mediocre one is still very useable.