RCU Forums - View Single Post - Modified Shrike
Thread: Modified Shrike
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2002, 02:22 AM
mobileraptor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified Shrike

I know I'm probably not in some of the speed zones that some of you are, But I have a slightly modified Shrike that seems to be pretty quick.

First time trials maxed out 150 MPH radar gun and stop watching over our 700 ft runway puts in the area of 166.

The Shrike is a 40 size in which the fuselage was widened 3/8" so that it would except a 60 size motor mount. the engine is a older YS 60 with a tuned pipe turning a 12x12 prop at 13000 on the ground.

The Elevator is on a Pull-Pull to insure no slop. The only servo in the center compartment is the throttle. The rear cross-framed areas are fully sheeted for strength and to help balance the plane. The elevator servo is on it's side in the aft void to also move weight back.

It's a blast to fly, so far the only problem was on it's first landing the engine was killed on approach about 800 ft out from the runway, it was still doing 60 plus when it crossed the pilot pads. We kinda overshot the landing, but there was any damage. We now kill the engine over the runway at about 150 ft. and make a full circuit back to the runway to slow it down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	17609_1258.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	11336