Thread: Wing Mold
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2004, 09:15 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wing Mold

Antti,

Thanks for the link, that is very helpful. I will be very carefull with the spar, I was planning on 1/4" end grain balsa capped with .007 carbon fiber?? I'm suprised you mentioned balsa being easier to work with. I figured I could buy a 24" x 48" piece of rohacell and just cut it out with a razor blade. With Balsa, I'd have to go to the trouble of edge glueing the sheets and sanding. From what I saw, the Rohacell would be more money, but I found the 24" x 48" sheet of rohacell for about $40 U.S. Dollars which didn't seem to bad to me. As to durability, when these planes crash there typically isn't much left worth repairing anyways. You mentioned a foaming agent, what is this?

David,

Do you not use cabosil with your mixture to join the halves? My biggest worry is that the leading edge will open up, and the wing will explode.

Marco,

This mold will be for a ama 428 Q500 wing, so you understand what I'm doing. Your pictures were great, and I am sure I will be contacting you with questions in the future. What thickness of carbon are you using around the wing hold down bolts?

Thanks again, you've all been very helpfull.