Thread: Sig Kavalier
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2004, 10:52 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sig Kavalier

Bear,

I'm not that experienced in kit building either, and I'm about 85% done with my Kavalier. I partially built 2 sailplanes many years ago and a lot of rubber powered balsa planes when I was a kid.

The Kavalier is exactly what they call it- a craftsman kit. You have to cut, sand, and shape just about everything. I've learned a lot with this kit. I'm building mine with most of the dihedral in the wings. Some people build them with none. I am going to modify mine for pine blocks for the main gear with nylon bolts.

Read the instruction book and build it as they suggest. There are a few places where it becomes confusing, but it isn't a showstopper. They show W2 on the wing as being built when you fit the wing to the fuselage, but it hasn't been built yet by the instructions. Also, the back sheeting in the center section of the wing top is done last. It needs something under the sheeting edges to support the sheeting edges and isn't in the instructions. I put something under that section for support. The tail is glued to a slot that you cut out later, but you hit a cross piece under the sheeting in the frame and that isn't in the book. I cut a notch in the tail and it actually gives more structural support. An 8 oz tank is going to be a tight fit, so plan on that early. WARNING: Sig shipped oversized torque rods with my kit. I called them and they sent smaller ones for free. If yours looks too big, they are too big.

The plane is going to be nose heavy, so plan on that. I put my servo tray as far back as possible. I may be able to put the batteries/receiver behind those, but the control rods may prevent it.

I'm putting a Saito .56 4 stroke on the plane, and the cowl will be too short without mods.

Let me know how the building goes. I hope to fly mine next weekend if all goes well.