RCU Forums - View Single Post - MagnumR dolly
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2004, 09:44 AM
KevinS
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MagnumR dolly

I am posting this because of the lack of information around on these dolly's. I dug around various peoples ideas, and came up with the following. I decided to build one because I use to have a diamond dust and knew from experience that these fast planes can be a handful to hand launch. I haven' t tried it yet, so I don't know if it works, but I don't see why it wouldn't. I will post on how it worked once I get a chance to fly this thing.

Of note, people are commenting about how the fuel tank on the magnum-R is pushing down on the wing, causing a gap between the fuse and wing. On my kit, there was a note stapled to the front of the manual that stated that they had found a problem, and instructed me to dremel out the former to allow the tank to sit 3mm further into the fuse. I did this, and then had no problem with the tank pushing the wing out. Overall I am happy with the kit, the clevis's are too large for the elevator bolts, you have to replace them. But everything else fit together well. Engine mount was even already bolted to the fuse, impressive. But there isn't much room to get the fuel lines from the tank out from behind the engine...tight tight tight. I am hoping the fuel lines don't kink in there.

Basically the dolly is just a hunk of plywood, 4 inches across. I have a landing gear w/wheels screwed to the wood at the front of the dolly. I put a tail wheel I had laying around at the rear. To allow me to tweak the tail wheel direction to get the dolly going straight, I attached a ball-link to the bottom of the dolly, and ran a rod with a z-bend to the steering mechanism on the tail wheel. If it doesn' track straight, I can pop off the ball link, and adjust the length of the linkage, and counter the turn. I used a nail just behind the landing gear, and cut it off so that it sticks up about 1/2" to act as a pin to drag the plane along (this didn't show up in the picture, but I circled where it is). There are two vertical sides at the rear of the dolly just to keep the plane on, and not swing off, they don't actually hold the plane down. I put a 'T' nut in front of the wing, on the bottom of the fuse (see pics) for a place for the pin to go in. The plane just sits on top of the dolly, and lifts off very easily. I think this should work well (In theory, I will find out real quick at the field
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85333.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	151965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79373.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	151966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd81080.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	15.8 KB