RCU Forums - View Single Post - 10x or 9z???
Thread: 10x or 9z???
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2004, 02:33 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 10x or 9z???

Side Bar: John VH, IMO, switch assignability is nice, but you got to think "outside the box" so to speak to see the power of assigning switches. Maybe if I explain why I like the assignability, you'll see why it is not a joke, at least for me. First, I don't want my switches all the same from model to model becaue every plane/heli I have is different. Granted, I generally want the switches similar (i.e. I always use the same switch for throttle cut on all my planes/helis), but each model has it's own unique programming needs. The obvious, switch assignability allows me to adjust the radio such that the switches do what I want them to do, not what the manufacturer tells me they do. The less obvious, but the more powerful benifit of switch assignability is the full freedom ability to combine functions, mixes and even conditions on any switch in any combination. For example, on the switch I assign for D/R whatever, I may have several programmable mixes or even a condition kick in depending upon the position of the switch. In addition, I can fully redefine and reassign every predefined mix, programable mix and switch acorss all eight conditions. Without full control on switch assignability, I might still get similar programming mixes entered, but I may be limited to only certain switches and/or I would need to flip more than one switch. The net result is not the same because if I forget to flip every swtich I need to flip when moving from one rate to another, I'd be flying is some weird setup I never want to be in. It seems silly to me to need to flip more than one switch when I always want certain mixes to kick in when I want to change my D/R whatever, etc. I'll admit the usefulness of linking functions on one switch is well beyond what the average pilot needs, and is a minor point for most when looking at radios. But like many things, once you start using the feature, it is difficult to live without.