RCU Forums - View Single Post - Blown Glow Plug
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2004, 06:53 AM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Blown Glow Plug

Heh heh heh.. We've just been having a big discussion about anti-seize compounds on the Stuka Stunt BBS. There have been some interesting comments made about the use of copper-based anti-seize compounds on model engines:

http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dcforu...mID1/9661.html

CL Combat fliers use anti-seize on Nelson plugs. I've had one get stuck. Really stuck. Never a problem with ordinary glow plugs, but with the Nelson plugs.. well, I learned my lesson.

What is CAPS and what is SEMPRA? It's interesting there's no difference. The K&B 1L, incidentally, along with the McCoy MC-9, used to be the choice for Fast Combat back when everyone ran Foxes. Both are OEMed by Ohlsson, by the way.

Incidentally, Henry makes three different plugs - a Std., a Heavy Duty (which is somewhat colder), and a two piece plug with a flat element (like the old Glo-Bee plugs) that the pylon racers like to use. The one piece plugs (especially the Std) are more friendly to use when it comes to setting needles, etc., the two piece supposedly gives an extra thousand RPM or two over the one piece plugs with the right motor. John Booker makes a fourth plug (also a two piece), and then you can get the Russians and Ukrainians to re-element your blown out plugs with a choice of different diameter wire.

I've heard that Al Kelly (well known around CL racing circles) makes the Merlin plugs. But I've never seen any info about them, online or otherwise. Is the line described/sold on the Jett web site?

Iskandar