RCU Forums - View Single Post - GP Super Stearman
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2004, 11:02 AM
beausol
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Super Stearman

Imnorthga: Sorry to hear about the accident. Just a few words:

I just lost my 1/4 scale Extra 300 last weekend because of two failed aileron servos. They were S3010s. All I can say is "beware"....they are "high torque" servos, but with the plastic gears, they still have a weakness. I ran off the short grass into the tall grass at my field one time and it stripped one of the servos just from that. I replaced the gear set ($10 from Tower) and it was fine after that, until last weekend when I was coming out of a 1/2 Cuban Eight and both aileron servos decided to break at the output shaft, causing a death spiral and totalling my Extra.

I'm going to follow this thread, as I am on the lookout for a replacement plane to use with my OS 1.60FX.

From here on out I'm going to go with AT LEAST HiTec 645s with metal gears and more torque, and a guaranteed gear chain.

Also, the metal clevises with lock nuts work great (used them on my Extra and never had one come close to coming off)....just be sure to use clevis keepers (small pieces of fuel tubing) on each clevis to keep them from opening up and coming off your control horns.

--Rich