RCU Forums - View Single Post - McCoy redhead stunt engines
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2004, 06:41 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: McCoy redhead stunt engines

Had both sucess and frustration with McCoy engines. Currently am using a RH 35 in a Veco Smoothie I built in 1969. Has also flown with Fox aand K&B. Third set of mounting beams, third recovering (Original doped Silron disintegrated about 12 years ago), had one of the original Veco wheels shed a tire in flite.
Put my first RH 35 on a Veco Warrior, that wouldn't even taxi in grass. Flew quite well on Fox 19s and 35s, tho. Finally pitched a RH 049. Never ran. Even the old Wen Mac 049 I had eventually ran once. Both my first two red head 19s and 35s ($6.98 each) are somewhere in our local land fill.
I currently have a small collection of pre red-head McCoy 19s, 29s and even an old 09. Saw an interesting article in I think a recent FM about restoring the old McCoy RH 35 by using Fox 35 cylinder and liners. Takes a little fitting.
Actually, the Engine in the Smoothie is not really a red head any more. Back during the frenzy when all the engine columnists were talking about dropping castor, I made the mistake of trying an all synthetic fuel. By the time I got the engine shut off, the cylinder head was baked enamel black. Wrecked a perfectly useable Fox 59, too. As a result, i always add about 4 ro 6 ounces of Baker's castor to a new gallon of fuel before the first tankful. Synthetic will not hold up to the higher friction heating of a lapped steel piston/liner.
I am currently trying to finish an Olympic I bought from an estate sale. Has a RH 35 in it.