RCU Forums - View Single Post - Old Newbee with radio question
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2004, 09:04 PM
afineman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Newbee with radio question

I am just re-entering this hobby after MANY years of build and crash, I have been trying for 30 years to fly ( my brother too). Well over the last month we both were able to fly some cheap Chinese made RTF’s. the 2 motor with no moving rud/elv, then we both went to a 3 channel slope diver ( AB for short) and are doing well and having a BLAST, now for the question.

I’ll start by saying I am an engineer in electronics, but am confused about the + /- shift thing.

I will be buying a new radio for the first time in 20 years ( any one want a Cox/Sanwa 2ch and a 3 ch Hee Hee Hee).

What is the difference? Does a dual conversion Tx work with any Rx? Does a dual conversion Rx work with any Tx? Do ESC or the servos care if it is a +/- shift? Is there an advantage to one over the other? What one is the most used/compatible?

I’m sorry if this question has been asked before but I have searched here and at RC Groups and really can’t find or missed the answers.

From all I can gather ( price to function ) I’m looking at the Hitec Flash X 5 with the slim 8 Rx and or the 555, I am also looking at the GWS ECS.

Because of this +/- shift thing I have held off upgrading because I haven’t had any frustration with my re entrance in to the hobby ( unlike the previous 3 decades), and I’m looking to keep it that way, buying incompatible parts because of this +/- shift thing would really make for a BAD day.

Any help you offer will be greatly appreciated

Thanks