RCU Forums - View Single Post - nikko seawolf
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2004, 12:46 PM
gulfstreamI

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: nikko seawolf

ORIGINAL: magnumball

Just bought a seawolf. Moster size compared to walmart sub. Anyone else own this sub. Looking for cool mods like with the walmart submarine. Also looking to expand depth of submarine in my 6 foot pool.
I got one here myself. This one is the "civilian" version of the Nikko Seawolf, this one's called the Ocean Explorer and first came out in 1983. I aquired this sub from an Estate sale & it's condition then was unknown (no battries to test it) .

This sub uses 6 standard "C" batteries (NiCd or Ni Mh recharegeables recommended) & 10 AA batteries. (6 batteries for the transmitter & 4 for the sub's receiver)

This Nikko Ocean Explorer was D.O.A. when I finally got to test it at home with the batteries installed. None of the 3 drive motors worked. I took this sub apart & found out the receiver-electronics board had corrosion.

I was'nt surprised, this is after all a 21 year old sub!
I cleaned up the electronics board & the corrosion that was there was fortunately only superficial. This sub's circuit board is protected by thin layer of anti-moisture parrafin like wax.

As for the sub's motors, the motorshafts were frozen in place due to 21years of accumulated moisture. The motor casings were brown in color due to corrosion. I managed to remove the corrosion from the sub's motors and got all 3 motors working again.

GulfstreamI
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13222.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	162779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70615.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	162780   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61347.jpg
Views:	296