RCU Forums - View Single Post - Question on mounting FMA Co-Pilot
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2004, 09:03 PM
Deltageek2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question on mounting FMA Co-Pilot

I am flying the Co-Pilot on a Wingo Porter twin 400 camera plane with a 2/3" CCD microboard cam and a Polaris Mw TX on 2.4 Ghz. I wanted to be able to use the Head Mounted Display I have for the downlink display- and not worry about losing control while distracted long enough to get it on and get oriented. I enjoy having the plane show some intelligence in keeping itself upright. The buddy box pilot can help also- when one is available.

I first tried it on the underside of the fuse aft of the cabin in the X config. It seemed to see the wingwires or something and didnt work as well as I liked. I set it under the nose, already low slung by the squat gear and have flown it a dozen times or more with good results. I knocked it off its velcro mount once on landing. Glad I spotted it in preflight before taking off again!

I have not yet experienced any out-of-trim condition I couldnt easily fix with trim. Even at an offset of over ten degrees in this weird spot! My site is a hole with a ridge of 50' to the North and East, fields to the S and W. I set it on its tail looking at the point where the two ridges meet at right angles (sucks for setup- nice for ridge soaring small HLGs in 2 possible wind directions!), the tail looking at the fields. It is at worst a bit noseheavy on takeoff requiring a bit of up trim to climb hands off. Acceptable. Never thought I'd use the OFFSET technique I read about in the manual. I use it every time it seems.

One thing I wanted it for was to lose the 'waggle' of the Wingo wing which is a periodic wallow. Streamlining the aft fuse helps put clean airflow over the tail the wing, as they say, is the thing. I think the wing softens and sags with the weight of those 2 motors and removes all washout, leaving the tips to work too hard- just a thought... The Co-Pilot nails it pretty well tho, smoothing it out 60 times per second- and I'm only set on 50% Sensitivity. Good luck. Good flying.
Lew