RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ask your electric FAQs HERE!
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2004, 04:13 PM
steedly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ask your electric FAQs HERE!

Hi all. I've been flying for about a year. I started out with a Firebird Challenger and upgraded to a Parkzone J3 Cub after losing the Challenger to the wind. I have made much progress and I feel as though I've "earned my wings" as I can usually put the plane where I want it to go, and my landings are now planned. Here's my FAQs:

-What are the pros and cons of LiPo? (I think you get more flying time from them but they are very unstable, is this correct).

-Brushed or Brushless? Why? What are the advantages/disadvantages of each?

-I have the battery that came with my J3 and I have a battery that came with my Firebird Challenger. They're made by the same people but have different connectors (Firebird has mini Tamiya and J3 has some tiny black connector that I can't find a name for). I'd like to put the same connector type on everything I have and everything I will get in the future. Is one better than the other or is there one connector type that is better than the rest?

-It looks like there are a zillion different battery cell sizes (2/3A, 4/5FA, 1/2SC, etc.) How do I tell what size the cells in my battery packs are?

-If I get a second battery for my J3 Cub, should I let the motor sit and cool for a few minutes before before popping in battery #2 and flying? The motor seems to get pretty warm after one 10 minute flight.

-How easy is it to transition from electric to glow? Is speed of the plane the main factor in the transition?

and finally...
-Wouldn't it be easier to put all of these FAQs in an FAQ sub-category in the forum rather than in one thread? That way it would be a lot easier to tell if your question had been asked or answered and easier to see all of the different questions.

Thanks for such a great place for info and help!

-Adrian
Charleston, SC