RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bad Form in the FOR SALE groups?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2002, 03:07 PM
Steve Lewin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Form in the FOR SALE groups?

Interesting debate. I suppose it depends on whether you think the For Sale forums are a competitive enviroment in which every seller's aim should be to gouge the maximum possible money out of his "fellow modeller".

If I saw someone offering a secondhand xxx at an asking price of more than a readily available new price I might just think it reasonable to warn people. Perhaps this isn't what you mean, but what you seem to be saying is that it's fine to overcharge people provided that they don't notice.

The most likely reason that a person is willing to pay more than the genuine going price is because he doesn't know what the real price is. If there are sellers around playing on that fact I'd suggest it is reasonable to educate people about the existence of such sellers. As for taking it to email, how exactly do you suggest that one emails all the people reading the ad, maybe newbies, who are about to be ripped off through their lack of knowledge ?

Not that it affects me personally. I don't buy stuff here. After all I've read I no longer trust my "fellow modeller". Which is a shame.

Steve