RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ever want to quit?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2002, 04:28 AM
Mike James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hang in there!

Modelers who stay in this hobby eventually develop into a person with a LOT of skills. Think about all the different things you eventually need to know, to avoid crashing... Adhesives, wood selection and usage, structural engineering, fiberglass, covering materials, tools, aerodynamics, the variety of engine types and sizes, mechanical linkages, hand-eye coordination, the intellectual capability to learn and perfect many maneuvers, and on an on. That's a lot of skills, and they don't just appear overnight. Then there's the fact that "stuff" happens, that is out of our control. Whew!

Well, if it doesn't sound too corny, here's the karate analogy....
Ask a karate instructor "How do I break a brick?" and the answer will likely be, "You begin to understand how to do a technique by practicing it one thousand times." There really are very few shortcuts. Dave Platt said, in one of his videos, referring to some "easier" ways to do markings on a scale model, "You may as well just start in and do the job." We all just have to hang in there and do the best we can.

...And I had one a couple of weeks ago. The attached image is one of the larger parts remaining after my kit-bashed Ultra Sport hit the dirt at warp 6.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	19660_2519.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	12350