Thread: OS .61 SF-P
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2004, 03:54 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OS .61 SF-P

Greetings Homero.....

The engine you described is a late 1980's OS "long-stroke" pattern engine. I owned a few of these. In fact, I still have one brand new one still in the box. They develop a lot of power.

They were designed for lower rpm, but they have a bunch of power and torque. For pattern, the engine was combined with an Hatori 750 pipe, set up fairly long, and we typcially flew them with an 11x10, 11x11 or 12x10 prop, which would turn in the neighborhood of 10K - 11K rpm. With that combination, one could get an Aurora, Tipo, Omen or LA-1 to really move along at wide open throttle, and we were able to pass the sound limits quite easily The only real issue the engine had was the bearings.

For a speed application, I would imagine you could use the engine if it were set up and propped correctly. You would want to keep the engine down below 12,000 rpm. Smallest prop I would suggest here would be an 11x9 or 12x8, and you would have to set the pipe length accordingly.

As for an airframe, it is obviously very at home in an older style pattern ship. Something like the new Patriot XL would be good as well, if you could work out the fuel system plumbing.

I hope this is helpful.

Bob