RCU Forums - View Single Post - Yaesu VX-5 is also a great RC scanner
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2004, 11:16 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yaesu VX-5 is also a great RC scanner

I recently bought a Yaesu VX-5 which is a handheld Ham transceiver. I bought it because I recently got my Ham ticket to be able to fly on 6 meters and figured why not take advantage of more of my radio privilages.

I finally figured out the proper settings to be able to receive narrow band FM and have programed in all the 72Mhz channels for RC aircraft. It works great and I can check my or anyone elses channel before I fly or imediately after a suspected shootdown to see if the channel is clear. It won't prevent all cases of interferance but certainly won't hurt.

It also will work on:

6, 2 and 70cm bands

FRS (Family Service Radio) which we use when traveling to other fields and for our pylon races.

The radios we sometimes use at work which are much bigger and heavier.

Repeaters around town which will let me reach people as far as 70 miles away (on average)

And it will work after the next big earthquake even if phones and cells are down so I can contact someone to relay a message to my family back east.

I'm very happy with my new toy and just wanted to let others know of a cool multi-use tool that has a great potential for our hobby.