RCU Forums - View Single Post - FBI Informational request
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2004, 01:34 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FBI Informational request

Per the original post....... I was the person interviewed here near Cleveland.

I posted a description of those events in here about a month ago. I forget off hand what thread it was in.

Yes, the FBI agent clearly identified himself. He initially came to my home. I was at work. He contacted me, and we arranged a meeting at a local FBI field office. The gentleman was very polite, and I believe I contributed a great deal to his understanding of our sport., and I left knowing he had a good grasp of the on the local, national, and international nature of r/c aviation. At the conclusion of our interview, I suggested that the agent contact the AMA offices for additional information on our national organization, and their current activities with respect to our discussions.

The proper way to handle any interview like this is polite, courteous answers. Consider yourself an ambasador to your sport, your local club, and the hobby in general. There is no need to be deceptive or quiet or in any way condisending.... there is no value in that what so ever. Also, do not JUST blow them off and have them call the AMA offices. They are looking for local info, and they are using the social/buddy/club/community aspect our sport is well know for to gather those seeds of information.

If you do not feel comfortable with an interview and questions.... that is ok too. Tell the agent that, and perhaps suggest another person/club member who may be better suited for the activity.

As I noted in that other thread, it gives me quite a bit of comfort to know that the FBI is taking the approach of asking, investigating, and learning the facts... which is pretty much their charter. It is good to see that they took the time to become involved with key local modelers and the r/c community. It was also reassuring that they have both the best interest and security of our country AND the best interest of our sport under in mind.

Those that think its the end of the world (per a few posts)...... licenced R/C Aircraft and such or having R/C aircraft banned in the US ..... don't get your panties in a knot. Its not going to happen, and this FBI information activity is not a prelude to it.

One thing of note.... their concern was mainly not over terrorists killing an individual or destroying a structure using a model aircraft as a bomb or contact weapon. It was more along the lines of the capabilities models might have to distribute agents/chemicals/etc. Either actual, or simulated/inert. You can imagine if someone flew a plane over a stadium somewhere, and unload just a bag of flower.... as the white powder fell on the crowd..... you can imagine the chaos, panic. Even if one flew over with nothing more than a real good smoke system. I believe you all understand what the results might be.

I will not go into the complete details of the discussion, but I believe this covers the jist of it.

The AMA maintains a positive PR campaign within goverment and to some extent in the media. It is most helpful for local clubs and individuals to foster that postive image among their local media and with their local governments as well. If you are seen as a 'part of the community' the possiblity of being seen as a 'threat' is somewhat reduced.

Bob Brassell