RCU Forums - View Single Post - Repairing 5925 servo wire
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2004, 02:08 PM
EdwardB
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Repairing 5925 servo wire

I would really encourage you to put the servo back together. If/when you uncover the circuit board, you're going to find a small board with surface mounted components, etc. It's very easy to heat damage components, or to get something lifted off the PCB, with no chance to remount. There are several options to fix your damaged connector. If it's only the plastic housing, you can pop the pins out, and put on a new housing. There are also kits where you can get the pins, a crimper, and new housings and make a whole new connection, although perhaps slightly shorter if you have to remove damage. The simplest, low tech, way to repair is to splice in a new length of wire with the new connector, onto the existing pigtail coming out of the servo, using the piece of extension you described. Some solder skill is required, but much less than trying to solder new wires onto the PCB. Normally, when I splice a servo connection, I offset each one by about 1/4 inch, put a short piece of shrink sleeve over each, and then one piece of shrink sleeve over the whole splice. Works fine.