RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Flyer program
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2004, 03:58 AM
JL636
My Feedback: (79)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Flyer program

A number of years ago, I approached Jay Meale (? Spelling) at the EAA convention in Oshkosh and asked him if we had and if we didn't have, why not, a program similiar to the EAA's "Young Eagles" program. He indicated that they did but did not give me much information on it. Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but, I have yet to see anything that remotely mirrors the the EAA's efforts. If we don't make a concentrated effort to get younger members into the circle then we are doing a disservice to modeling as a whole. The AMA in no uncertain terms needs to cultivate the younger/new interest in the sport. If we as modelers and members of the AMA do nothing to ensure the growth of our sport then we have no gripes if we do not grow and move forward. What would be wrong with having a goal (a certain number of new first time flyers by a specific date), rewarding their interest with a certificate of some sort and a national registry of new flyers who have taken advantage of the program on the AMA web sight. Yes it does sound alot like the EAA's effort and I must admit that is where I got the idea, but you cannot knock their success..its outstanding and successful. Whats your opinion? Joe