RCU Forums - View Single Post - My ZOOMER build-up (15% wing)
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2004, 09:52 PM
MOJO65-9or10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My ZOOMER build-up (15% wing)

Well this will take a while but I intend to keep up with my progress and keep you informed as to how it is going.

So far I ordered a Mantly Models "Zoomer" which is a 40 size speed plane designed around a class called "Animal 500". I have know idea what that is but it looks like fun to build and should move along just fine when finished I hope.

The kit comes with foam wing cores, plans, and instructions. That is all, nothing else. You need to have a good idea how to build (I hope I do) and need to buy a good bit of stuff to finish it (balsa, hardware,landing gear,etc.). Anyway with the help of a real nice guy here, who has built/flown one and some luck it should all come together here.

Here is where I am at.
1. The horizontal/vertical stabs were made with tappered leading and trailing edges for less resistanence. The rudder was made bigger per the planes to make the plane a little more fun to fly and I guess maybe a little less competitive. The plans have 2 outlines for the rudder. One for racing and one for sport flying. I sure as hell ain't racing so the sport rudder was used. The racing rudder has 1/2 the area as the sport rudder has.

2. I have the wings ready to be joined. Covering was real easy after a nice guy around here gave me a bunch of insight and suggestions as to how to cover my first set of wings. I have to tell you that it was real easy after I gave it a try and the wings are nearly perfect. One wing has the slightest of bow's in it (maybe 1/8") but I am sure that will not be noticable to me. I ordered the 15% symetrical wing. The kit can be purchased with 3 different wing types (12% race, 12% semi, 15% full sym.) I kind of wish I had bought the 12% race wing since I have other fun planes to screw around with and will probably buy some core's later and end up with 2 wings for this plane.

Well I have about 4-5 pics that I am now ging to TRY and attach.

Happy fly'in,
Dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24168.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	181493   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28371.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	181494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp32750.jpg