RCU Forums - View Single Post - Micro-Flite. What's the Beef?
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2004, 01:17 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Micro-Flite. What's the Beef?

I'd like to thank Roger for posting this information since it hasn't been noticed so far.

Guys, this topic has been beaten to death and I'd like to see us move on. Let's leave the past threads to speak for themselves rather than re-hash all this. Roger has finally come through with some information and while I share your feelings of past frustration it's here now. Roger has said that he's ready to ship as soon as orders come in and there has been nothing to indicate otherwise and some that have supported him as an honorable fellow.

I'm looking forward to hearing about some users findings and seeing some cute and interesting models using the latest parkflyer gear and one of these little mills. Now if only I had a paved runway to fly something like that from....

ORIGINAL: MICRO-FLITE-RCU

MICRO-FLITE/COX TD .010 "R/C" ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS & PERFORMANCE DATA

*DYNAMIC SPEED RANGE

IDLE: 6,000-8,000 rpm...solid and reliable! (lowest idle ever obtained with a "1/8A" throttle!)

FULL SPEED: 30,000-32,000 rpm

*THROTTLE RESPONSE: instantaneous! (Transition from idle to full speed is excellent...vastly superior to a carburetor throttle!)

*MIDRANGE RPM: smooth and fully variable rpm from idle to full speed (widest speed range ever obtained with a "1/8A" throttle!)

*NEEDLE VALVE SETTING: broad, steady and reliable

*FUEL CONSUMPTION: 1.5g/.05 oz. per minute on high throttle/full power...considerably longer on cruise!

*EASE OF STARTING: EXCELLENT! Engine can be started with ONE (1) engagement of spring starter after broken-in!

*ENGINE RELIABILITY: EXCELLENT!

*ENGINE LIFE: EXCELLENT, when MICRO-GLOW FUEL is used (25% lubrication) and MICRO-CLEAN is used to devarnish cylinder.

*ENGINE NOISE LEVEL: LOW!! Incredibly small .010 cu. in. engine displacement with PET (throttle/muffler) makes engine suitable for backyard R/C!

*ENGINE/THROTTLE WEIGHT: 14g/1/2 oz. (throttle weight: 2g/.07 oz.)

NOTE:

1. A TNC Electronics Sensi-Tach Model PT10S with an "accuracy to better than 1 rpm" was used to do rpm readings.

2. A COX gray competition propeller (3"D x 1.25"P) and MICRO-GLOW FUEL (25% lubrication and 35% nitromethane) were used, when taking tachometer readings.

3. The above data only begins a discussion, on the RCU FORUM, of the rpm performance of the MICRO-FLITE/COX TD .010 "R/C" ENGINE! More detailed rpm performance data will be provided in future posts.

4. A COX TEE DEE .049 ENGINE with an Ace throttle sleeve would have to idle at 2,500-3,300 rpm to have similar performance to a COX TEE DEE .010 ENGINE with a PET. As you know a COX .049 with an Ace throttle sleeve idles around 6,000 rpm, so the .010 "R/C" ENGINE considerably outperforms anything that we have ever seen in exhaust throttles for COX engines. (However, to understand this statement you must take into consideration PROPELLER PITCH along with idle rpm!!) Your lightest multi-channel "1/8A" MICRO R/C models ought to sit dead still on a typical paved runway with the PET'S very low idle rpm. This is a true first for a "1/8A" throttle!!

5. Andy Woitowicz's experiments with throttling the COX TEE DEE .010 ENGINE proved that exhaust throttling is superior to carburetor throttling for COX engines. Dave Robelen's home-made carburetor throttle for the COX TEE DEE .010 ENGINE caused the engine to flame out at 14,000 rpm, which is more evidence to support Andy's claim. Andy also said that carburetor throttling caused the COX TEE DEE .010 engine to easily flame out, when quickly changing throttle settings from low throttle to high throttle. The PET has none of these drawbacks!!

Roger