RCU Forums - View Single Post - damaging transmitter modules
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2004, 01:31 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: damaging transmitter modules

ORIGINAL: Flying Geezer

I think the instructions not to leave the transmitter on with the antenna not extended is to avoid damage as the result of a possibility, not a probability, of damage. These instructions are well worth following because no two modules or rf circuits are of equal quality.

Prolonged on-time without the antenna extended might damage one, and not another. As for degradation of components, the extent is anybody's guess. I too, have forgotten to turn my tx off and let the pack run down. Haven't hurt my rf circuits, but it sure in hard on battery packs. I took one out the first time.

Best to follow the instructions (to the best of your memory), but if you have left it on, and it is still range checking properly, there is no need to send it off for service because the technican will find the same thing you did. It works!

Some of us older flyers are more prone to leave our transmitters on, because there are three things that go with aging. One is memory, and I can't remember the other two.
Yes it does make sense to follow the instructions that come with the radio. But as you say the most likely casualty is the battery.
BTW they tell me the memory is usually the second thing to go. If you can't remember the first one there is no hope.