RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lanier Shrike Engine, prop size, and tips please.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:33 AM
robert92679

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lanier Shrike Engine, prop size, and tips please.

You've had some good advice here regarding the CG and engine management. I'll suggest that you might want to reinforce the elevator, especially near the center where the control horn goes. I used some fiberglass cloth with thinned epoxy along the bottom elevator surface. I lost my first Shirke when the elevator/control horn let loose in this area. I reinforced the second and it lasted a long, long time, until one day I zigged when I should have zagged.

As for props, for the first flights you might want to start with something on the big side (10x7 or even 11x6). These will give you smoother takeoffs (ie. hand launches) by providing more thrust, and keep the top end speed down on the first flights while you get it trimmed out. After you're comfortable, drop down to the smaller prop for better speed.

Consider a bright trim color for the leading edge of the wings. It makes it much easier to see the plane when you turn in and you're looking at the plane head on.

As for what others have done with a Shrike...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22542.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	184925