RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need info on Halberstadt fighters
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2004, 08:45 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: There's DROOPY trailing edges, too...!!!

Trev, I also looked hard at the Halberstadt DII. I particularly like the funky rudder. It's sort of like a transitional design between the EIII's full flying rudder and the later designs with a vertical fin.

On the trailing edge "droop" (I can't quite make out what this is in the 3-view) I'd want to consider this carefully as this seems to be how a lot of the WWI, thin airfoil aircraft built in washout. For example on the 2-seaters I'm looking at many and washout built into the ailerons which gives the wings an attractive bird-like quality. I'm not sure how I'd go about building an aileron with washout but I'm sure it could be done.

Pipe, I'd also be interested in seeing those structural drawings. While I'm not specifically planning on building one, I find that what I learn about how any of these early birds were really built is applicable to others. Particularly from one German manufacturer to another.

Trev, I'll try to scan in the airfoils from some of my Albatros 3-views. This is one area that I might be willing to fudge a little on a scale RC model. All thin wing airfoils are going to be pretty similar so if there is one that looks like it would be stronger I'd go with that.

My own modeling is completely on hold (beyond repairs on my current ARF after a day at the field) until I can get back to the US.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41504.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	186321