RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hangar9 Corsair wing folding?
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2004, 02:22 PM
R.J. Rose Ocala FL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar9 Corsair wing folding?

Spaz -

I just had one fold on October 24th. It failed in the left intermediate wing section where the wheel wells area. The main spar in this area is two pieces butt jointed near the retract bellcrank. The load carrying part of the spar is aircraft plywood, but only has about a 1" ligament. There is a manufacturing flaw in that the assembler put a 1/16" thick balsa shim in between the two pieces of the spar, using a simple butt joint and no reinforcement. The balsa shim delaminated and the wing separated. My guess is the shim was added during fabrication to get the section to align properly.

My local dealer called Horizon and they have asked to have the airplane returned for investigation. Horizon is furnishing a pre-paid shipping tag and my local hobby shop has boxed it up for shipment. I suspect this is a sample flaw not a widespread problem.

This had nothing to do with the user's assembly. My assembly joints survived both the wing separation and the ultimate crash. As stated in the thread above, just make sure the wing joiner fits tightly and use fresh 30 min epoxy and all will be well.