RCU Forums - View Single Post - Was it simply the money or ???
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2004, 09:28 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Was it simply the money or ???

Frankly, I don't see where AMA dues are "Stellar". I pay almost $10.00 a year more for NAR, (National Association of Rocketry) per year for a similar insurance plan, a newsletter and a magazine about 6 times a year, and as far as I can see, fewer resources available than the AMA has.
I also find it hard to believe that a many kids are finding the dues for AMA and many clubs a problem when they seem to have money for some of the expensive tricked out R/C cars, skate boards and such. Watch what some of them are spending at some of these new small amusement parks with their go-karts and other amusements. Heck, one 16 year old I had as a student when I had time to spend as an instructor had enough money to by a Jett 40 for his ARF Pylon racer. We developed an opinion talking about his progress that his main attitude problem was that it was taking too long to get an 'A' level so he could fly solo. He also had some problems with field rules about no fly zones.
We've seen more problems with spoiled brat type kids who are just dropped off by their parents who buy any kind of equipment and actually are more concerned about being able to drop the kid off with cheap baby sitters. Of course, I've heard similar comments from friends who try to help out with things like junior bowling leagues, hot stove leagues, jr. golf, and other activities. In other words, parents who don't really care about their kids.
I guess the 'instant gratification' is just a side symptom of the 'Fast Track' where people move up the management ladder just by completing an assignment that lasts a few weeks to a few months and file a report showing how well they completed the assignment even if the results are going to fall apart shortly after they start their next assignment, usually in an entirely different department or even a different facility in a different state.