RCU Forums - View Single Post - Was it simply the money or ???
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2004, 10:22 AM
abel_pranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Was it simply the money or ???

ORIGINAL: Jim Branaum

50+AirYears,
Sorry, but you and I are talking apples and oranges.

You speak of those kids who have more $ than sense, but I am NOT. You speak of those who think nothing of dropping $150+ on an engine and I am not. You are speaking of the few who are stepping into club activities and don't have financial issues, AND *I* AM NOT!

Rather I am speaking of the big AND GROWING LARGER crowd of e fliers that meet down at the local park (or fly in front of their house) because they can have fun without spending more than an airframe costs for AMA membership with its SECONDARY insurance. I bet your NAR insurance coverage is primary. Most of the e guys cannot even figure out why they might need insurance, much less support an organization that appears to only limit their activity (the Li-Po warning for example) rather than look for ways to make their segment grow and the hobby thrive. More e guys are looking for solutions than AMA folks who even care about the problems.
Jim-
I'm sure the cost is a deterrent for many/most of them. Some can't readily afford the cost, and many that could won't, just because they don't feel they get a return in value that is commensurate with the cost.
Lots of young folks can afford to buy cars, or have somebody that will do it for them. Most of those that have cars could afford membership dues in AAA. Most of them don't feel moved by an obligation to AAA for what that organization does/has done to protect their driving rights and safety. Most of them do not join AAA. They percieve more value in a tank of gas.
I can relate to that - I don't buy anything because I can afford it, but rather because I want it more than something else I might have spent the money on. Too simple?

Abel