RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flair Stinger --HOLLY #!@*
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2004, 08:46 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Flair Stinger --HOLLY #!@*

Yeah, my Stingers were great gliders too. I could kill the engine and still do another lap (1/4 mile) from an altitude of 20 feet and still do a 360 turn for landing.

The best method for landing is to burn off the speed at altitude, and establish the glide slope. The ailerons lose most of their control, so you steer mostly with the rudder. Then control your landing point with the elevator. If you are going long, use more up elevator to get into the draggier "back side of the curve" (j-curve). If it looks like you are going to be a little short, lower the nose to gain speed and cover more ground (front side of the curve).

Another trick if you come in a bit hot is to get the airplane on it's wheels and rolling, then give full down elevator. The tail will lift and the wing will act like a drag brake. You can slow from a smoking hot landing in a very short distance.

The pylon guys learned this trick from the control-line racing guys who can go from full speed to a landing in about 1 lap. They kill their engine, and pulse the elevator quickly with up and down to kill the airspeed, then attack the ground and hit down elevator just in front of their pit area where they refuel, restart and take-off in just a couple of seconds. Truly amazing to watch.