RCU Forums - View Single Post - HEY! LET'S BUILD A SPEED PLANE!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2004, 11:04 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: HEY! LET'S BUILD A SPEED PLANE!!!

WOW! It sure is great to come home from a typical day at work to be greeted with such great visitors to my workshop from BELGIUM, GERMANY, SWEDEN, and several points in the STATES. I am sure now that we are going to pull this one off! I like DER STEUERMANNs' idea to have the top of the wing flat, on just one plane. It sounds like less work to build and less work to fly. I like to know what the minimums are for tail surface area, because we all know why less is good there. I like the idea about letting the wing tips come to a zero thickness, but I don't want to exceed the recommended span[ 40"] by too much. We will seek a compromise there. I have a full scale drawing of the basic layout, but it is on butcher paper, and does not photograph well. The drawing that SMCHALE submitted of his .21 powered plane is a beauty, and you are welcome to tag along with this thread, but it will dilute the information that I get, and your project deserves it's own space. It will be fun to have several speed plane build threads to look at, and we will gather more interest and information this way, I think. Tonight I got a late start, so I will be happy to get the 1/16" balsa sheet contact cemented to the foam cores, and call it a night. Tommorow night will be dedicated to installing a repaired cylinder head on car #1, so no hobby work until WEDNESDAY[&o].