RCU Forums - View Single Post - (SLOOOW ROLL)
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2004, 09:09 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: (SLOOOW ROLL)

Its been a while since I've slow-rolled an Edge. But I'll test my memory. I recommend making sure you have all the appropriate mix (rudder to elevator and rudder to aileron) for nice striaght knife edge. Next, adjust your rudder dual rate to just barely hold knife edge on low rate, cruise speed (normally about 3/4 throttle).

Next, work on the flight simulator to help with coordination of control inputs. This is one of the best strengths of a flight simulator. Even if its a simple sport plane setup, it still teaches coordination of the control inputs. The most difficult thing is learning not to over-hold the rudder-- as you are at the point of the roll just before inverted. Many designs, including the G-202 and Extra will pitch negative if you leave the rudder in as you approach inverted. You have to take it out well before you are inverted, otherwise you'll climb (even with just rudder input and no down elevator). On the Edge, at least the one I flew, it did not do this as much, but the opposite would happen as its rolling from the last knife edge back to upright again. If you leave a significant amount of rudder in as its finishing up the roll (like the last 20 degrees of roll remaining) the plane will jump in pitch positive (resultng in a sloppy looking exit).

Finally, a word about CG. This will raise some eyebrows from those who teach conventional wisdom (i.e., move the CG back so you have minimal down elevator deflection when inverted). MOVE IT FORWARD! I have a story to tell you about CG and rolling maneuvers. Two days before the 2002 TOC, I was doing rolling circles (basically slow rolls with the control inputs left in, with others put in early, on 45 degree points). The plane was dancing up and down a little (but noticeable). Chip Hyde came up and told me my CG was too far back. I thought I was doing the right thing (especially since I did not have to move the rudder and elevator sticks as much due to the aft CG). I moved the batteries forward and it helped. Then last year I moved the CG even more forward (putting in cannisters and a three blade prop). Suddenly the rolls looked better yet!