RCU Forums - View Single Post - Membership decline???
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2004, 07:52 PM
scrcc_guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Membership decline???

Quote:

Original: Hossfly

That leaves 80-85% of the membership basically stating that they are happy with how AMA functions. Now, with an 80% majority of the membership approving AMA, just why would the Power-Structure have any reason to NOT continue to perform as they do?

I have a slightly different take.
I believe that most of us (the 20 to 25%) who dwell among the discussion groups are those same people who make up club executive committees, run the contests, generally represent those that get things done, and in actuality support the AMA. And although I'm taken to task from time to time, I value everyones opinion that makes one here; because they have the convictions to speak up. It's unfair to minimize what transpires here because it keeps the conversation going, and lets those in "powerful positions" understand they too will be taken to task on questionable activities.
The 80% you elude to as the true supporters of the AMA aren't stating anything. They rarely vote, rarely attend meetings and look to the AMA for only the insurance. They never attend contests, will never visit Muncie. and care about nothing else than flying where and when they want without hassles. If you measure support by ambivilence, then yeh, you've got a winner there.
The trick will be in the offering of incentives, and choices in membership services which have not been thought of (yet). More rules, edicts and unbridled spending at Muncie are not the answer.
Where will these new refreshing ideas come from? Perhaps from the same unbridled unwashed 20% which populate the disscussion groups. At least they have the will and desire to speak up.