RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is Castrol M the same as degummed racing castor oil.???
Old 11-22-2004, 01:07 PM
PhilNZ
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is Castrol M the same as degummed racing castor oil.???

Hi,
Gentleman .. My main comcern with Companies that produce blended oils is that they don;t tell you what the contents are.

Also be ware that there are NOT that many oils that readly mix with Methanol

Many Blended mixes are according to Major oil companies just pure hype.. and the additives and claims are rubbish.

I have just spoken to the head chemist at Gulf Petroleum and i am sure if you speak to similar you will be surprized at what you are told.

Many blended oil mixes when burnt leave behind harmful acids etc that attack the inside of the engine, Formac Acid is just 1.

Medical castor oil ( BP ) is not degummed

Also you want Pressed degummed castor and not chemically extracted castor as this has esters
and hydrocarbons that will cause engine failure

BeNol is another name for castor but again you want pressed oil
KLOTZ is motorcycle racing oil as per there website

Coolpower by Morgan doen't list the contents

Omega By Morgan lists some contents and appears to be along the standard Glow Fuel mix

Any mix that will not list the contents of their products are best left on the suppliers selves.

If you are in doubt use the following

15 to 20 % oil this can be a Synthetic or pure castor mix
0 to 15 % Nitro for aircraft
3 % Acetone you can leave this out it just helps mix and burn the pure castor
Menthanol to make up your total to 100 %

get hold of winheli from
http://www.birdgagesoft.com

this is a fuel blend / mix calculator that will work out percentages and volumes of your mix.

Rule of thumb fuel is the FAI approved its been around for many years and it doen't have
all the Flash xxxx brand this and that yet it is a world standard fuel and is used in FAI events

Oil up to 20 % pure pressed castor for running in use 22 %
Methanol 80 % for running in 78 %

You can add Nitro and decrease the methanol by the same amount but I would not use a Nitro based mix for running in unless it is stated by the manufacturer

To invoke some real heat as 1 Major oil company stated if the blended oils are so great how come we are not making them !!!!!!!!!!!!! and supply them to the model world.

I hope to have a report from an oil chemist in the next few days and i am sure that many will be very surprised..

Phil