RCU Forums - View Single Post - One-time Only Buddy Box Rule - Opinions?
Old 11-23-2004, 12:31 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: One-time Only Buddy Box Rule - Opinions?

AMA policy regarding guests limits them to one shot at trying model flying on a buddy box. This edict follows three paragraphs that tell us why only AMA members should be allowed to use AMA chartered club sites.
IMO, AMA is a bit too restrictive in this area. However a Chartered Club is bound to following the AMA rules, Safety Code, own rules, etc., etc. Once a rule is broken the Club officers are liable for becoming fish bait for hungry Barracudas. Any well-administrated club will therefore hold the line to all the rules whatever they may be. As in regular life, some break the law and get away with murder, while some slob forgets to add that $1000 part time contract to his taxes and gets 10 years in the slammer plus losing most of his assets. That's why good club officers don't allow selective rule breaking.

Yes I would like to see that rule dropped. Unless there is a big change in the Directors of AMA I will not hold my breath.

Here's the loophole: Simply get whichever officer in your club that does the deed to sign you on as an Introductory Pilot. Pay your 5 Bucks and you can go for it as you wish. Each is then restricted to 30 days however that should present no problems for mountain-climbers.

As far as just introducing someone to flying, it's also simple. Using a model other than the student's model an AMA member can give one flight to the prospective newbie. OK so you have a trainer. You and several of your buddies can each give a flight and all is legal by the AMA's written words. A nice day can be had!

When we do the school thing each year, any member can do the instructor role as he is using his plane and the flights are one only. No need to make this thing too big.

OTOH, even as an Introductory Pilot, I don't do more than two lessons for any newbie as our club limits visitors to 3 sessions in any calendar year or join the club. I refuse to teach anyone to take-off and land unless he becomes a Club Member. Used to, but those that made a couple landings then went down the road and started flying off the road ruined any considerations for those to follow. My time is now too limited to waste on those looking for free schooling. [>:]