Sean Plummer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Composite-ARF Extra 330L Conversion

With all basic components completed it is now time to fit the motor battery tray. Assemble the model and mark the C/G position on the wing. Place the motor battery into the model and move until the proper C/G is achieved. Try to position the battery as close to the centerine of the model as possible to reduce potential coupling issues. In the case of the 2.3m Extra, the batteries ended up protrudng in to the Motor dome and across the Wing tube. In this case the battery tray is positioned so the batteries cross the centerline of the model from front to back.

Fabricate a strong battery tray from, 1/4" "lite ply". This is a really important step as the batteries will represent about 20% of the models weight. A very strong battery tray will ensure the batteries will not shift during flight and also "Protect" them in the event of a crash.

I have seen batteries ejected and destroyed from crash impact. If the batteries are properly mounted they often sustain no damage, as the airframe absorbs the impact in the event of a crash.

Here are the first pics:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78224.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	197628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91414.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	197629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38353.jpg
Views:	12