RCU Forums - View Single Post - World Models P-82 Twin Mustang
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: World Models P-82 Twin Mustang

Thanks, Darrell. I've been wanting to convert a twin-engine plane for a while now since I had several 4120 motors sitting around after upgrades to 4130s.

Everyone I talk to says that the P-82 flies great! The real challange here is in a proper split of the brushless power system functions but using Opto-isolated ESCs makes it easy. I have also been looking for a more scale travel speed for mechanical retracts on my Hangar 9 Corsair so this delay module from Hobby Lobby will be a good test on the P-82 conversion.

Mounting the motor, which is often my favorite task, proved to be very simple and inexpensive. I needed a 1.5" motor offset to make a 4" total length between my firewall and the spinner backplate.

A trip to my local home improvement store (Home Depot) revealed that a common PVC part is a (NIBCO C437-168) 1-1/4" x 1" coupler that has an octagonal end on one side and round on the other. The $0.79 cent part can be used unmodified. I simply sanded the ends on a flat surface to remove the slippery wax-based finish.

I then used #8-32 x 2" round head machine screws and #8-32 x 1/4" tee-nuts to mount the 4120 motor with the radial mount set that includes the prop adapter.

One of the four mounting holes uses an existing hole and the other three were marked with a felt tip pen by holding the motor up to the firewall.

I drilled a large hole for the three motor wires to pass back into the fuselage and extra airholes for cooling the ESC and battery.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv62886.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	199586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29410.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	199587   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64769.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	53.0 KB