RCU Forums - View Single Post - World Models P-82 Twin Mustang
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2004, 10:18 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: World Models P-82 Twin Mustang

One of the biggest advantages of electric powered flight is in the unparalleled reliability gained from using brushless motors. Although this added reliability can be seen in single motor applications, it becomes even more visible in multi-engine conversions like my P-82.

Last year, in the USSMA Scale Masters competition which is dominated by glow and gas-powered entries, an electric-powered scratch-build Chinese Tu-4 Turboprop AEW plane won the Team Scale Championships in Dayton, Ohio. The plane was skillfully built by George Maiorana and masterfully flown by Dave Pinegar. The plane used four MaxCim 13Y brushless electric motors.

My P-82 wing was built in three sections. The center section had clear fishing line running from each of the outer holes to the flap bay for pulling servo leads. A third line was run from the retract servo bay to the flap bay. After some decision making, I decided to follow the manual servo setup and replace only the throttle servos with ESC control line extensions. Most of the servo leads needed 24" extensions.

The P-82 has no center pod like a P-38 so the receiver must reside in one side. The manual uses the right pod to house the receiver and Rx. battery and so did I. I will replace the Rx. battery with a UBEC that feeds both Opto-isolated ESCs via the control line. Each pod will have its own motor battery.

In the third image below, note that I mixed up the left and right aileron labels. The wing is being viewed from the front top side.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11837.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	199977   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49164.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	199978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz69757.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	27.7 KB