RCU Forums - View Single Post - Question about PCM and FM
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2004, 05:06 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Question about PCM and FM

ORIGINAL: Extra_230-RCU
PCM receivers are supposed to be very fast in receiving the signal from the tx, and you can program "Fail Safe" to help you get home if you ever lose one of your plane's functions or if there's interference

I know they're not related. I'm trying to point out that AM came out first, then FM, then PCM or PPM. Obviously, FM will work just fine, but if he's got an expensive airplane, then PCM will, in my opinion, be the better choice since you can get "FAIL SAFE." Thanks,
Clint
You have not understood FM and PPM/PCM or failsafes at all.
PCM receivers are not faster at picking up the transmission. The transmission rate is dictated by the Tx, the rx has nothing to with it. PCM is transmitted slower, not faster, than PPM.

Failsafe does not get your plane home in the event of loss of control. All it does is change the location of the crash.

PCM and PPM did not come after FM. They have absolutely nothing to do with AM or FM. The data is coded as PPM or as PCM. Neither of those have anything to do with radio whatsoever. They are data codes. To transmit them by radio they have to then be encoded again, as AM or as FM. Your model radio is AM or FM, and it is also PPM or PCM. But it is impossible to choose between FM or PCM because they are completely different things. PCM is sent on standard FM. PCM can not be better than FM because the phrase is meaningless.

H