RCU Forums - View Single Post - A new KNOBBY box RC radio "recommendation"...
Old 12-24-2004, 03:48 AM
Lynx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A new KNOBBY box RC radio "recommendation"...

smokingcrater. Which do you think is more difficult, translating two two dimensional sticks with parts of the body operated by seperate sides of the brain, or having three degrees of axis on one hand? The brain is actually capable of putting more control input into a single muscle group much much more easily than multiple muscle groups, because the brain has to translate and communicate rather that just react like you would with a single muscle group. Just because we learn on two sticks doesn't mean that's what's natural.

This can be demonstrated very simply by doing the following. Grab an etch-a-sketch. Draw a circle with it. Grab a pencil, draw a circle with it. Tell me which requires more practice to do. The Pipe isn't just a fanatic, he's actually right. In fact I think the single stick controls could actually be one upped by adding a sliding shaft to the stick to give 4 dimmensions on a single stick.

Also about your well labeled switches, that is also not thinking very clearly. No you don't look at your transmitter when you're flying, but you do look at it when you're learning and trying to figure out how to deal with it all. I currently type over 120 words a minute and I haven't seen the keys on my keyboard in as long as I can remember. But I do know that if they didn't have those symbols on them I wouldn't have ever learned to type even at 1 word a minute. I stared at my keyboard when I typed for something like 4 or 5 years. Then one day I realized I could look away and I already knew where the keys were, why because they were well labeled and consistantly positioned.

Single or dual stick I personally think the entire human interface to an RC aircraft needs to be rethought from the ground up to put the fine control in one hand and the course control in another, with ergonomic sanity as well. They came out with split keyboards years ago because it makes more sense to the degree's of human movement, why on earth are we still using two stick straight up out of a flat box?