RCU Forums - View Single Post - Older G-38
Thread: Older G-38
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2001, 02:44 AM
Fighterpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring starter maintenance

I've seen spring starters that were well greased bind up after only 7 to 10 flights. The results of a spring starter binding up your engine can be catastophic to your aircraft if you go dead stick in the wrong place at the wrong time. I have removed all of my spring starters because I don't want to have to pull my engine off of the airplane after a few flights in order to maintain it, and it is just something else that can go wrong, and you know Murphy's law about if something can go wrong, it will. So, save yourself some headaches and remove that spring starter before it causes you a problem. I use a combination Sulivan Hi Tork electric starter coupled with a Miller Precision belt reduction unit to start all of my engines up to 5.8 cu. in. with no problem. I'd be very careful trying to hand start any engine on magneto in that the timing is not retarded on a mag engine and it could backfire on you, catching your hand in the prop. It's a cheap enough investment, so go get that electric starter.