RCU Forums - View Single Post - A new KNOBBY box RC radio "recommendation"...
Old 12-29-2004, 01:26 PM
Glen Merritt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A new KNOBBY box RC radio "recommendation"...

Sorry to splash the cold water of reality onto your single stick dreams, but no major radio company can afford to build a new modern sophisticated computer single stick radio product. My guess is 99%+ of all R/C pilots worldwide were trained on and currently fly a two stick radio. A radio company simply cannot risk the 1 million dollars it would take to bring a single stick product to the mass R/C market without a proven market for it. I know some of you will say this is a "Catch 22" and I would have to agree.

I personally have a deep respect for Jef Raskin and his human interface opinions. I have also met "The Pipe" at the WRAM show and discussed this very issue with him in person. For all I know a single stick interface may be "better", but the marketplace is not always "rational" and we all know humans do not always gravitate towards "what is best for them". So...the evolution of R/C radios has moved to a two stick system and at this point the voices of those wishing to buy a sophisticated single stick product are but a whisper in the breeze next to a "two stick world" Hurricane.

With all due respect,

Glen Merritt
Marketing Manager for Hitec and Multiplex USA