RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need info on Halberstadt fighters
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2005, 10:42 PM
triflyer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need info on Halberstadt fighters

In the early 80's I built two Halberstadt fighters, a DII and a DIIa. I remember having to do extensive research just to come up with any type of drawings or info. I don't think I ever found any drawings that were alike. Some had different nose treatments, strut arrangements, wing tip differences and rudder shapes. Nor could I find a agreement as to which one was which - DI, DII,DIII, or DIV. Very frustrating. Again this was many years ago and research sources such as the internet was not available to confirm information. I wanted to build a Halberstadt that utilized the flying tail and rudder and also used ailerons. I built the DII in 1/6 scale and used a early version of the Saito .45 4C. I incorporated the "droop" as wash-out in the ailerons. This made landings very managable and I could slow the plane down to a crawl without worry of stalling. With a flying stab, incidence was not real critcial. I did have +2 on the top wing with 0 on the bottom(in relationship to the thrust line). At the time I drew and built this plane my scratch building skills and general knowledge was limited. I did not build this plane for show, but wanted a dogfight partner for my Neuport 11. I used a flat bottom airfoil that was equivilent in thickness to the original undercambered airfoil.
If you are looking for an exceptional flying WWI example this plane is it. It would not do many aerobatics,just as the original Halberstadt DII, but this is not why we build and fly WWI airplanes. I also built a DIIa which, if my memory serves me right, had a different profiled nose( no spinner) because of a different type of motor, and a different cabane strut arrangement(it did not use the inverted ("V") rear cabane similar to the Neuport 11-27 series. I could be wrong on this, as it was a long time ago. I used a OS.60 4C and it also flew very well.
I think that the British magazine, Flying Scale Models, offers 1/5 scale plans.
Someone in the States has a full size flying Halberstadt in which I took pictures of at Oshkosh years ago but I believe it may have been a DIII. It had the flying rudder but was a different shape than the DII.
I am sorry if any of this info is incorrect, as it has been quite some time since I researched this plane. I will check my files to see if I have any drawings or info left.