RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hitec Digital Servo Programmer vs Futab TX
Old 01-14-2005, 08:01 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hitec Digital Servo Programmer vs Futab TX

ORIGINAL: Crash90

I also think that rather than hooking and unhooking your servo to and from the Rx and programmer, then taking a "guess", once the center is set and the control surface is at neutral you can program your endpoints while the servo is still connected to the control surface (Re-read my post, at no point do I say to connect and disconnect the control surface). It is much easier and just as accurate as the method described in post 1.

With my H9 sukhoi, I installed the servo into the wing, set it to neutral, hooked up the linkage, then began turning the knob on the programmer until I reached my desired throw. Just make sure that the mechanical advantage is at least 1:1. . I tried the same thing but when I connected it to the RX the endpoints where not set the same as the programmer. Just like the neutral signal, the endpoint signals are also different betwee the Hitec and Futaba. It saves a lot of steps.

I think I understand your point but do not agree with it. The reason I don't agree is that I set the servo arm and control horn connection as close as parallel I can get. Our goal is linearity of all servos connected to the same control surface. If we were talking about multiple servos connected to the same airlon and the wing was tapered from the root to the tip then some mechanical adjustments are needed to establish linearity. Describing that process was way beyond my intent. My comment aboout subtrims is correct when we are talking about two servos, on two RX channels, controlling one surface, e.g., Futaba's Ailevator function -- once you adjust the subtrim of one and not the other or differently then those servos are no longer matched.

You have to keep unplugging the servo between the programmer and RX until you establish the servo neutral point. Once you have the servo neutral point, loosely connect the control surface, max deflect the TX, and make sure the servo endpoint is not in excess of the control surface deflection capability. If it isn't then complete your control surface connection and leave it connected while programming for the control surface neutral point and subsequent endpoints. Just like the neutral programming you will still have to alternate between connections to the RX and the programmer.

BTW, we are talking about Hitec digital servos and Futaba TX. You cannot program your servo strictly with the programmer because Futaba's neutral is not the same as the programmer's.