RCU Forums - View Single Post - Questions about how the AMA works, and other important stuff.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:13 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Questions about how the AMA works, and other important stuff.

Hmm good question.

How about discounts with manufacturers and hobby suppliers on model materials.

How about programs that offer education in technical aspects that the modeler could use towards a job in an aviation based field.
Yes, I know about the programs such as scholarships, the Yes Grants, ect. How about something every AMA member gets instead of a one time selective scholarship. Perhaps a discounted flying lesson?

How about offering internship programs with aviation companies like Lockheed Martin, or Boeing that are solely dependant on an AMA membership.

How about a program that is a joint project with the military to get modelers to advance into military aspects of UAV flying. As it is the Air Force is actively recruiting model aviation pilots for this express purpose. This should be a joint project with the AMA. This is a HUGE PR opportunity. Think about it. AMA and the US Department of Defense working together to produce top notch aviation personnel.

I used to see model aviation pilots flying at airshows. Recently I havent seen them at any of them. Im not sure why, but this needs to happen more. I know about the AST program, unfortunatly this is not really advertised well when new flyers are told about the AMA. Stuff like this needs to be told to interested parties. This stuff is as important as "you get insurance",

How about offering internship programs with NASA, or better yet Burt Rutan or Yeager's camp.

There are AMA programs that offer seminars or classes that teach model building and other aspects of model aviation to young flyers still in school, but they are few and far between around here. We need more of these. Im not sure why, but the local clubs are not taking advantage of the Adopt-a School programs. What about making some of these classes for modelers that arent in school...some of us older fellows still like to learn too.

There is an absolutely AWESOME aviation museum here. Its the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Florida (which I would highly recommend anyone that comes to this area ...GO SEE IT.) This museum regularly has people restoring vintage aircraft. The people that do this restoration are extremely skilled mechanics, airframe mechanics, and other talented people. Perhaps the AMA could link up with restoration centers at museums around the country and get model aviation interested folks in as interns to help restore these aircraft. It would be a wonderful opportunity.
The AMA website states that they offer "Historic Preservation and Research programs (Museum, Archives, and Library)" but as of yet, Ive been unable to find or get any information about this....or are they just talking about the AMA museum in Muncie?

Think about this ....You have a new young flyer, that picks up a AMA brochure(assuming you could actually find a AMA brochure), and reads that if he joins the AMA, they can place him as an intern in Lockheed Martin factory, or he can spend his summer vacation building a Corsair for a museum, or go get flying lessons for cheap.

Its entirely possible that the AMA already offers some of this stuff, but no one has told me about it, and I cant find specific info on the AMA website regarding it.