RCU Forums - View Single Post - What can the AMA do to recruit the under 30/park flyer group?
Old 01-15-2005, 11:28 AM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What can the AMA do to recruit the under 30/park flyer group?

I have some more ideas including those above.

Most of the parkflyer crowd is consisting of young adults and kids. If you want to get them into the AMA, you need to start in the very place that they begin to get interested in hobbies......SCHOOL.

The AMA has got to grab the attention of these young flyers before they go out on their own and get into model aviation. The only way to do this is to get involved and get the AMA's offerings into the schools. Tell the young kids that they dont have to go to work at McDonalds during the summer, they can go work as an intern at a museum building vintage aircraft. If someone had told me that while I was in school, I would have been jumping over the hobby shop table with my 50 bucks for a membership.

This will do two things.

It will spark an interest in young folks that never even thought about aviation.
and
It will make those that did consider it, a place to start with proper education, and instruction.

Most of the parkflyer crowd is self-taught kids that learned to fly by crashing everytime they went out. Most of them have never seen a AMA member, some dont even know what the AMA is. They just saw the planes on the internet, and went to their hobby shop and bought one. Later they hear about the AMA, and think "Why bother, I never needed them before, where were they when I was crashing everyday trying to learn how to fly."

Where indeed?