RCU Forums - View Single Post - What can the AMA do to recruit the under 30/park flyer group?
Old 01-19-2005, 12:21 AM
skerrin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What can the AMA do to recruit the under 30/park flyer group?

I'm just trying to catch up on threads (working very long hours recently) so forgive me if this point has been made and I missed it. I must confess I have only observations with no concrete suggestions for solution of the problem.

My own experience these past several weeks suggests another factor beyond the simplicity or cost of park flyers that would make it difficult to lure their pilots to a club setting: convenience. Since I haven't been able to get to my club field for about 6 weeks, I find it quite relaxing and therapeutic to get in a few minutes of stick time in the field behind the lab at lunch or just before dark in my back yard if I get home in time. With that in mind, I have to ask why would someone deeply steeped in the "now" mindset want to travel miles and/or hours to a club field when they can get a few minutes of pleasure and relaxation right next door or across the street? I'm not judging that this mindset is right or wrong as there are many ramifications to be considered. However, it is my observation that it is a product of the times in which we live and applies to adults with job and family pressures as well as youth who have yet to discover cars or girls (once that happens.....) I believe clubs will continue to claim those genuinely interested in the myriad aspects of model aviation. I just can't think of anything we or the AMA can do to court these folks who will probably be doing something else next year. Could our efforts and funds be better directed elsewhere?

I am far from straining my ear to hear a death knell, but both model aviation and amateur radio (two hobbies in which I participate) are both suffering from a bad case of lack of "gee whiz". To younger generations there are more magical things, there are more exciting things. world-wide communication is routine both by radio and the internet. Air transport is routine. Aircraft with performance we can only dream of modeling are commonplace and are given lots of air time on television. National organizations stifle innovation (oops, wrong thread).

Hmmm. where's the remote....are there any Mr. Wizard reruns on tonight...

Steve Kerrin