RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA and Disabilities
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2005, 02:49 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA and Disabilities

Dave,
This is a much bigger issue than this one modeler.
The whole purpose of my call was to find out what document, and under what authority, can the AMA deny coverage due to a medical condition. That question was not answered.
If the AMA can deny coverage then that information should be known to the membership, not just the chosen few.
As I mentioned earlier, what are the procedures to defend one’s self against these allegations? Using your example of poor eyesight, which, IMHO is a much bigger problem throughout the membership, what happens when some field Nazi tells the president that an older member is flying and seems like he can’t see that well and needs glasses. What happens then? Does AMA mandate he get an eye test? Who evaluates it and what criteria are used? And on and on….
I hope the AMA has a good lawyer and MRO, because they’re heading down a steep, slippery slope on this one. A member who’s denied coverage and has the resources could sue AMA on a number of counts and possibly win a big award, along with all the publicity it would generate.
Now there’s a nightmare that DB should add to his long list of nightmares and start thinking about it!
BRG,
Jon