RCU Forums - View Single Post - DIGITAL CAMERA QUESTION
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2005, 01:50 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DIGITAL CAMERA QUESTION

If you want a good camera in the 10X zoom range, I would highly recommend the Panasonic Lumix cameras. The one I have is the DMC-FZ15 and it has a 12X optical zoom and 4MP. The Lumix also has image stabilization, which allows you to use the 12X optical zoom without a tripod in good lighting conditions. The only other camera with image stabilization in this price range is the Minolta Diamage Z3. The Minolta Diamage is about $350.00 and the Panasonic Lumix can be found for about $375.00. I handled and used both before making a buying decision, and would say that the Lumix is the better choice. It is bigger in size, and has a good solid feel. The LCD monitor screen on the Lumix is 2" as compared 1.5" on most other cameras. This makes a big difference in being able to compose your picture. Lica, a very reputable lense manufacture, manufactures the lense for this camera. This camera has more features than the average person needs. The FZ15 takes good video, but no sound. To get sound you have to go to the FZ20 for almost $100.00 more. As with all digital cameras you will have to buy additional memory card. You only get a 8MB card with it. I don't see why they even bother putting a card that small in a camera. I picked up a 512MB card for mine.
Good luck on your decision. This may be more camera than you want but I thought I would give you something else to consider.
I almost forgot to add that the macro is very good on this camera. This is a feature you will also need to be good.
Greg