RCU Forums - View Single Post - Jett Engineeering Too loud for my field
Old 02-13-2005, 10:31 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Jett Engineeering Too loud for my field

We went through this at our field twice in the last 8 years. Ours is city owned with a subdivision about 2 miles away. Every once in a while, somebody gets a hair across their butt and complains. Well the second time, the city came out again with noise meters again and took readings. The readings at the field were close to the limit, of course this depended on the plane.

Then they all went down to the area of the house of who was whining and took readings. The "ambient noise" was higher then what readings they were getting from our field from that same location. You see we were all talking with cell phones and we would have a few key pilots and there planes flying when they took readings.

The meter has to be placed a certain distance from the plane for a reading to be right. For all you know their planes could be high also. So if it were me, and the club has no policies on this and there are no meters and your out in the middle of nowhere, tell themto shut the heck up.

Now with that beingn said, we all but eliminated this stuff here. We do not allow anybody to "tune" or "fool" with their engines near the pilot boxes. If you have engine tuning problems or breaking one in , you take it to a designated area a ways away. Nothing that ticks me/us off more is flying my plane and having some nitwit tuning his engine up right behind me.

If this is more in your line, then you have a solution.