RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig Somethin' Extra Wings
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2002, 07:33 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Somethin' Extra Wings

I designed a wingset for a friend's SE using my own airfoil that is close to the Morris Funfly types. It is 20% thick at root & tip, high point is at 25%.

The wing planform is like an Edge 540 ie: straight L.E. with forward swept T.E. to help with his (the plane's ) noseheavy condition. Each panel has 27.5" span, 14" root chord, 8" tip chord (without ailerons.) It used the original type wing tubes with the ribs configured so that the top surface was flat with the bottom tapered up for a slight dihedral effect. The spars were placed so that they were perpendicular to the fuse centerline which means they are forward of the highpoint at the root and behind it at the tip.

The plane flies great! Tracks very smooth & gracefully, sorta' "pattern like"; still floats in on landing but handles wind better.

The only thing I didn't like (esthetically) was the transition at the root between the new wing and the old configuration at the fuselage. He chose to just leave it as is and it looks kinda clunky...'til it gets airborne....than you can't tell! I'll try to get some pix this weekend if you're interested.

****OOPS!! EDIT****
Dumb***** alert! I was mistaken...the wingset was for an Uproar 60, not an SE. Sorry for the confusion....I'll crawl back in my hole now.

The same principles would apply, though.